The first 5 years lay the foundation for your child’s future. First 5 Ventura County supports parents, caregivers and children as they navigate their way through this remarkably joyful, sometimes challenging and developmentally essential time in a family’s life. Through our 11 Neighborhoods for Learning (NfLs), First 5 Ventura County invests in early learning, health and family strengthening resources that help parents raise children who are healthy, nurtured and ready to learn. NfLs are designed by and for their communities, so each one looks different. They include preschools, family centers, parent/child classes; access to health services, dental treatment, mental health services, and parent education. . . Families pay according to income and many resources are free of charge. Check us out at www.first5ventura.org or like us on Facebook to learn more. Because the first 5 years impact a lifetime!
Conejo Valley Neighborhood for Learning
Programs and Services: Conejo Valley Nfl offer childbirth education referrals, new parent support groups, parent-child classes, breastfeeding and infant massage, half-day preschool classes, and full- and half-day preschool/childcare.
- Crowley House/Admin Office/Infant & New Parent Education Center: 2522 Pleasant Way, Thousand Oaks, CA 91362; 805-496-9035
- Conejo NfL Preschool: 280 Conejo School Road,Thousand Oaks, CA 91362; 805-495-1776
- University NfL Preschool: 2801 Atlas Ave.,Thousand Oaks, CA 91360; 805-241-5410
- Earths NfL Preschool: 2626 Michael Drive, Newbury Park, CA 91362; 805-498-8391
- Park Oaks NfL Preschool: 1335 Calle Bouganvilla, Thousand Oaks, CA 91360; 805-492-3569 ext: 229
- Neighborhood City Center for Young Children: 110 S. Conejo School Road, Thousand Oaks, CA 91362; 805-494-8100
Moorpark/Simi Valley Neighborhood for Learning
Programs and Services: Family education, health services and screenings, information and referrals, parent-child classes, sports and educational enrichment classes, parent support, mobile preschool, quality improvement program for childcare profiders, preschool/infant scholarship program, Saturday preschool, Twilight infant program and a summer pre-K program.
- Berylwood Simi Valley Family Resource Center: 2300 Heywood St., Simi Valley, CA, 93065; 805-582-1214; email@example.com
- Moorpark Family Resource Center: 612B Spring Road, Suite 401, Moorpark, CA, 93021; 805-552-1917; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ready Set Grow! Mobile Preschool: Contact Moorpark or Berylwood Simi Valley family resource centers for information
Oak Park Neighborhood for Learning
Programs and Services: Preschool program for Ages 2.9 years through 5 years; parent education classes and resources; resource center for the community
- Oak Hills Elementary School: 1010 Kanan Road, Oak Park, CA 91377
Ocean View Neighborhood for Learning
Programs and Services: Bilingual preschool classes; migrant family services; parent education; parent support groups; referrals for health services, including developmental assessments, family counseling/mental health services, dental and vision screenings, and health insurance assistance.
Ojai Valley Neighborhood for Learning
Programs and Services: Preschool and childcare tuition subsidies;education and support for young children and families; prenatal classes and support; parent-child programs, classes and support (0-3) through The Nan Tolbert Nurturing Center and other community resources; developmental screenings; resource and referral services; early literacy program; child passenger safety; redirecting children’s behavior and relationship building for families; and family events.
- Ojai Valley NfL Office: Ojai Unified School District, 414 E. Ojai Ave., Ojai, CA 93024
- The Nan Tolbert Nurturing Center: Oak View Park and Resource Center, 555 Mahoney Avenue, Room 2, Oak View, CA 93022
- A Place to Grow Preschool: 414 E. Ojai Ave., Ojai, CA 93024 (Corner of Aliso and Montgomery)
- Ocean Vista Early Education School: 5191 Squires Drive, Oxnard, CA 93033; 805-986-3186
- Laguna Vista Preschool: 5084 Etting Road, Oxnard, CA 93033; 805-488-3638
Oxnard Neighborhood for Learning
Programs and Services: Early Learning programs: preschool, Pre-K program, hands-on transition activities for parents of incoming kindergarten students, Children’s bookmobile, parent-child classes, family literacy activities. Family strengthening programs: Developmental check-ups; dental screenings; health, mental health ans social services referrals and information; parenting education classes. Staff members speak English, Spanish and Mixtec.
- Oxnard NfL Office: 1051 S. A St., Oxnard, CA 93030; 805-487-3918, ext.2321
- Cesar E. Chavez Family Resource Center: 224 N. Juanita Ave., Oxnard, CA 93030; 805-487-1800
- Harrington Family Resource Center: 2501 Gisler Ave. 93033, Oxnard, CA 805-240-1135
- Driffill Family Resource Center: 910 S. E St., Oxnard, CA 93030; 805-487-7723
- Marina West Family Resource Center: 2501 Carob St., Oxnard, CA 93035; 805-382-1081
- Sierra Linda Family Resource Center: 2201 Jasmine Ave., Oxnard, CA 93036; 805-983-4606
Pleasant Valley Neighborhood for Learning
Programs and Services: Parent-child classes, infant parent-child classes, infant massage classes, baby sign language classes, prenatal and parenting classes, certified car seat inspections and education, Healthy Families application assistance, children’s vision and hearing screenings, developmental check-ups (Public Health Educator), positive parenting program, family education & fun nights, mobile dental services (Clinicas del Camino Real), conversational English classes (Laubach Literacy Program).
Staff is bilingual and classes are free!
- Pleasant Valley Neighborhood for Learning: El Descanso School, 1099 Bedford Drive, Camarillo, CA 93010; 805 388-0369
- Somis Classroom: Somis Elementary School, 5268 North St., Somis, CA 93066
Port Hueneme/South Oxnard Neighborhood for Learning
Programs and Services: Pre-kindergarten transition summer program; age-appropriate reading activities at the Ray D. Prueter Library; family child care provider services; speech and language intervention services; family resource center services; mini-grant preschool support program at local private preschools; Mixteco outreach and support through the Mixteco/Indigena Community Organizing Project (MICOP); developmental screening provided through Public Health; social emotional screening provided through Behavioral Health; full- and half-day preschools through Child Development Resources, Child Development Incorporated and Ventura County Office of Education Preschool for All.
- NfL Family Resource Center: Hathaway Elementary School, 405 E. Dollie St.,Oxnard, CA 93031; 805-271-4688 (NfL office) or 805-986-0101. (Family Resouce Center).
- Hathaway Headstart: 401 E. Dollie St., Oxnard, CA 93033; 805-271-1329
- Hueneme Headstart: 500 West Clara St., Oxnard, CA 93033; 805-488-2412
- Haycox State Preschool: 5400 Perkins Road, Oxnard, CA 93033; 805-488-3578, ext 315
- Haycox NfL Preschool: 5400 Perkins Road, Oxnard, CA 93033; 805-488-3578, ext. 315
- Williams State Preschool: 4300 Anchorage St., Oxnard, Ca 93033; 805-488-3541, ext. 50
- Larsen Headstart: 550 Thomas Ave., Oxnard, CA 93033; 805-240-0043
- Hueneme Elementary PfA PreSchool: 354 North Third St., Port Hueneme, CA 93041, 805-488-3569, ext. 30
- Little Explorers Child Development Center/PfA Preschool: 259 North Third St., Port Hueneme, CA 93041; 805-488-0806
Rio Neighborhood for Learning
Programs and Services: classees and workshops, preschool for ages 3-4, preschool extension activities, family literacy, infant massage, Bebe Sano – well baby classes for Mixteco families, prenatal education, oral health, family fun nights, nutrition information, parenting education, tobacco cessation, child and home safety information, social service referrals and case management, home visits, mental health services, special needs resources, food and clothing give-aways, health insurance application support, developmental screenings and new parent kits
Rio Neighborhood for Learning: 3300 Cortez St.,Oxnard, CA 93036 (On the corner of Cortez Street & Simon Way in El Rio); 805-981-2892
Santa Clara Valley Neighborhood for Learning
Programs and Services: Early literacy activities, parent-child classes, preschool programs, nutrition education, preparing for parenthood classes, family support services, information and referrals, car seat installation and safety events, and monthly Sharing the Harvest Events.
- Director: Patricia Cervantes
- Phone: 805-933-9884
Administrative Office: 217 North 10th St., Santa Paula, CA 93060; 805-933-9800
Ventura Neighborhood for Learning
Programs and Services: Parent-child, early learning, play and learn, and baby and me classes; storytime events; children’s health information and screenings; developmental screenings; nutrition information, health insurance application support; oral health; family support and information and referral services.
Our staff is bilingual and classes are free!
- Director: Cathy Puccetti
- Website: http://www.venturausd.org/vnfl
- Phone: 805-641-5000 ext. 1032
- Mid-Town Family Resource Center: Will Rogers Elementary School,316 Howard St., Rm. #21, Ventura, California 93003; 805-641-5496, ext. 1200
- Saticoy Family Service Site: Saticoy Elementary School, 760 Jazmin Ave., Room #5, Ventura, California 93004; 805-641-5496, ext. 1200
- Sheridan Way Family Center: Sheridan Way Elementary School,573 Sheridan Way, Ventura, California 93001; 805-641-5081
- E. P. Foster Family Service Site: E. P. Foster Elementary School, 20 Pleasant Place, Ventura, California 93001; 805-641-5420,ext. 1013
Text4Baby Supports Healthy Pregnancies
First 5 Ventura County is partnering with Text4Baby to support healthy pregnancies.
Text4baby is a free mobile information service designed to promote maternal and child health. An educational program of the National Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition (HMHB), text4baby provides pregnant women and new moms with doctor-approved information that they need to take care of their health and give their babies the best possible start in life.
Those who sign up for the service by texting BABY (or BEBE for Spanish) to 511411 will receive free SMS text messages each week, timed to their due date or baby’s date of birth. Messages will continue until the child’s first birthday and can be canceled any time.
Text4baby is made possible through a broad, public-private partnership that includes government, corporations, academic institutions, professional associations, tribal agencies and non-profit organizations. There is no charge to receive the messages and no mobile messaging plan is required. For more information, visit www.text4baby.com.
Ventura County leads the way to a healthy California!
First 5 Ventura County is dedicated to supporting healthy eating and active living among Ventura County children and families. Join us regularly for new articles, recipes, activities, featured local harvests and an engaging calendar of events. In partnership with A LEAN VC (Advocates for a Lifestyle of Exercise and Nutrition) we’re bringing local nutrition and activity resources under one virtual roof to help build and support a healthy Ventura County. Visit www.healthyventuracounty.org and join our Facebook/ Twitterpages for the latest events and news. Healthy Ventura County is born out of a partnership between First 5 Ventura County, Ventura County Public Health, local nonprofits, community organizations, direct health service providers, food security organizations, schools, area businesses, and government agencies. We come together to share resources and promote community activities, policies and environmental changes that foster healthy eating and regular physical activity to counter obesity and its related chronic diseases. For more information about local events, how to get involved or to post your own health focused event on our calendar page, go towww.healthyventuracounty.org.