Why Volunteer and How to Get Involved0
The key is to find a volunteer position that you enjoy…
In today’s busy world of juggling responsibilities and schedules, it can sound overwhelming to think about finding time to volunteer and adding one more thing to our plates. However, volunteering has many benefits for you, your family and your community. The impacts of volunteering are far and wide; consider the following benefits and then call one of the many non-profit organizations in our community and GET INVOLVED!
- connects you to others
- helps you make new friends & can increase your social and relationship skills
- increases self confidence
- helps you stay physically healthy
- is a fun and easy way to explore your interests
- can teach you valuable job skills
- makes a difference in people’s lives, both for the volunteer and the recipient
There are numerous volunteer opportunities available. The key is to find a volunteer position that you enjoy and are capable of doing. It’s also important to make sure that your commitment matches the organization’s needs. The following questions can help you narrow your options:
CHOOSING WHERE TO VOLUNTEER…
- Would you like to work with people or would you rather work in solitude?
- Do you prefer to work alone or as part of a team?
- Are you better behind the scenes or do you prefer to take a more visible role?
- How much time are you willing to commit?
- How much responsibility are you ready to take on?
- What skills can you bring a volunteer job?
- What causes are important to you?
Finally, remember when you are volunteering you are donating your valuable time so it is important that you enjoy what you are doing. Making sure that your volunteer position is a good fit for you and the organization requires you to ask questions, make sure you know what is expected and enjoy yourself.