United Way kicks off Stuff the Bus Campaign0
United Way of Ventura County will launch its fifth annual “Stuff the Bus” campaign as part of Day of Action to help send children in need back to school feeling confident and prepared.
United Way is asking the community to stop by designated locations throughout Ventura County from Saturday, June 21 through Wednesday, July 23, to donate and drop off new school supplies inside big, yellow, pop-up school bus bins. The school supplies will be given to children from low-income families living in Ventura County.
Last year, 667 backpacks filled with new school supplies were given to kids in our local communities. United Way’s goal this year is to provide kids with at least 800 new backpacks stuffed with school supplies.
Below are the “Stuff the Bus” drop-off locations (with more sites to be added):
- Blanchard Library in Santa Paula, 119 N. 8th St.
- Camarillo Library, 4101 Las Posas Road
- E.P. Foster Library in Ventura, 651 E. Main St.
- Moorpark Library, 699 Moorpark Ave.
- Newbury Park Library, 2331 Borchard Road
- Oxnard Main Library, 251 South A St.
- Ray D. Preuter Library in Port Hueneme, 510 Park Ave.
- South Oxnard Branch Library, 4300 Saviers Road
- Thousand Oaks Library, 1401 East Janss Road
- Simi Valley Library, 2969 Tapo Canyon Road
- CBC Federal Credit Union
- 300 Arneill Rd., Camarillo; 2151 E. Gonzalez Road., Oxnard
- 1772 E. Avenida de los Arboles, Thousand Oaks
- 2100 E. Thousand Oaks Blvd., Thousand Oaks
- 3636 Dean Dr., Ventura
- County Schools Federal Credit Union, 4591 Market St., Ventura
- County Commerce Bank
- 3260 Telephone Road, Ventura
- 2400 E. Gonzalez Road, Oxnard
- 2357 Pickwick Drive, Camarillo
- Simi Valley Ford, 2440 First St.
- Cabrillo Economic Development Corporation, 702 County Square Drive, Ventura
- One Step A la Vez, 421 Sespe Ave., Fillmore
- Union Bank
- 2930 Tapo Canyon Road, Simi Valley
- 2092 Tapo St., Simi Valley
- United Way of Ventura County in Camarillo, 4001 Mission Oaks Blvd., Suite E
“Stuff the Bus is a great opportunity to show that everyone can make a difference to help advance the common good in the area of education,” said Susan Englund, United Way’s Vice President of Community Impact. “This activity is part of United Way’s three pillar approach which also includes income and health.”
The list of needed “Stuff the Bus” school supplies includes: Binders, calculators , college ruled notebooks, college ruled paper, colored pencils, compasses, construction paper, crayon boxes, dictionaries, dividers, erasers, folders, graph paper, glue sticks, highlighters, index cards, markers, mechanical pencils, pencil boxes/ pouches, pencils, pencil sharpeners, pens- blue/black/red, rulers, scientific calculator, children’s scissors, wide-ruled paper, and wide-ruled notebooks, and more. A complete list can be found at www.vcunitedway.org.
In addition to the donation of school supplies, individuals also can make monetary donations to “Stuff the Bus,” which will be used to purchase new backpacks and additional school supplies.
To make a minimum $10 donation, visit www.vcunitedway.org and click on the donate button. Individuals can also make a donation of $10 using their cell phone by texting the keyword UWVC to 27722. Standard message and data rates apply. Individuals can mail or drop off a check made payable to United Way of Ventura County to: 4001 Mission Oaks Blvd., Suite E, Camarillo, CA 93012. Please write “Stuff the Bus” on the note line.
Nonprofit organizations and agencies wanting to receive a portion of the “Stuff the Bus” backpacks with school supplies will need to submit a Request for Proposal (RFP) available for download on the United Way website at www.vcunitedway.org.